What an amazing time we had during our Troops4Troops Girl Scout cookie campaign. In total 47 local Girl Scout Troops sold us cookies to support our service men and women overseas. The response was amazing. We wanted to thank each and every troop, troop leader, cookie mom and girl scout that helped out… you girls rock! The cookies will be made into care packages and sent to the troops overseas. Many boxes will also stay in local food pantries in Souderton, Perkasie, Lansdale, Quakertown and Pennsburg.
Another event we are proud to sponsor this month is our Mouthguard Campaign. We at OSIV believe that every young athlete benefits from a mouthguard. In many contact sports mouth guards are already required, but there are several sports where there is still great risk for mouth trauma (see the following image courtesy of the American Association of Orthodontists)
Here are some facts about mouth guards and mouth trauma that you may not know:
- Injuries to the mouth and teeth can occur at any age, but they are especially prevalent in young children and teenagers. They are most common in children under the age of 10.
- In preschool children, falls account for most of the injuries to the mouth. In children of school age, sports account for most oral injuries.
- The National Youth Sports Safety Foundation estimates that more than 3 million teeth will be knocked out in youth sporting activities.
- Mouthguards have been shown effective in preventing mouth trauma and injury to the teeth.
- Not only do mouth guards help prevent tooth damage, which can be expensive in the short and long term, but a properly fitted mouth guard also reduces the risk of concussion during sports.
In March and April, we are happy to provide mouth guards for the girl’s lacrosse team at Souderton Area High School. Thank you Coach Nancy Offner and best of luck this season. We are also sponsoring the lacrosse league of Deep Run with mouthguards. Coach Bill and the organization at Deep Run Valley Sports do an amazing job organizing youth sports for our region. If you or your child athlete needs a mouthguard, please reach out! It would be our pleasure to provide you with one free of charge! That’s how strongly we believe in preventing mouth injuries. Our phone number is 215-799-4602, or feel free to reach out on our home page at indianvalleybraces.com. Life is better when you’re always giving.
Dr Justin and your OSIV team