Many of you have been getting your braces on this summer. While the list of what you should not eat can be quite large, there are still many yummy braces friendly foods you can have. Our very own Patty has refined and vetted these recipes. Episode 1 focuses on breakfast. Here is the recipe:
BAKED Berry Breakfast OATMEAL
- Dry ingredients:
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon (double this if making plain or banana-nut flavor)
- ½ tsp salt
- Wet ingredients:
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 ½ cups milk, plus additional milk for serving
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups fresh berries (larger berries chopped, can substitute with frozen)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 2 ½ quart baking dish.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Place half the oat mixture in the baking dish, top with half the berries, and then top with the remaining oat mixture.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, and melted butter. Pour over the oats.
- Top the oats with the remaining berries.
- Gently shake the baking dish back and forth from side to side to allow the wet mixture to get down into the oats.
- Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes, until oats are tender, and the mixture is set.
- Serve immediately with a splash of milk, or cool, then cover and refrigerate to reheat later.
If the oatmeal firms up too much after cooling, you can add a little water before reheating it to make it creamy again.
Flavor variations: You can leave out the berries or replace the berries with sliced bananas and chopped walnuts for banana-nut oatmeal.
Hope you enjoy!
Your OSIV Team